Saturday, February 28, 2009

My grandfather

This one was harder to write than my grandmother's for some reason. I think it was because I had too much time to over-think and analyze it. I really wanted to make him proud. I hope I did.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I'd like to start with my favorite story that my grandfather used to tell me. He was a young man on leave from the Navy out walking with a friend when he came upon a Marine walking a duck. For reasons that I don't even think Pop knew, he decided to buy the duck. He and his friend then put the duck in a duffel bag and smuggled it into a hotel room, where they filled a tub and let it swim all night. The next morning, he sold the duck to a Merchant Marine. This is just one of the many strange but true stories from a man that was always larger than life to me. My grandfather was so full of humor, and he loved to share that with others. Whether he was telling silly puns to his family or sharing funny observations with strangers in the grocery store, he always had something witty to say. I always admired his ability to strike up a conversation with anyone anywhere.

My grandfather also highly encouraged imagination. He used to quote Einstein to me- Imagination is more important than knowledge. He always told me that knowledge was important, but it took imagination to really bring things to life. His wonderful imagination gave him the "photographic eye" required to produce such fantastic videos and photos, which he took in massive quantities at every single family function. For as long as I can remember, at every Christmas, Easter, Birthday, and even just the smallest family get together, my grandfather had his camera in hand or at his eye at all times. If they could have found a way to implant one directly into his retina, he would have loved that. Of course, not until he'd read the entire manual from front to back. He was very fond of his manuals.

He loved his technology. Many of my friends talk about how they had to bring their grandparents and parents into the 21st century by teaching them how to use a computer. Pop, however, taught me much of what I know. It seemed he had a new computer every other week. A few of them were supposed to be for my grandmother, but, like the televisions, VCR's, and DVD players he bought for her, they somehow always seemed to end up in his room. I'm actually surprised he never figured out how to hardwire the entire house into a computer and control it all from his cave of electronics. He even convinced Granny to buy a technologically advanced clothes washer. She told me "Nicole, the manual is as thick as a phone book!" I said "then make Poppy read it and tell you the highlights!" I attribute all my technological prowess to his good genes. But as much as my grandfather loved jokes, photography, and technology, he loved his family a million times more, as is evidenced by the subject matter of most of his images.

In my own life, Pop played a very important starring role. My own father was not a part of my life, but Pop-Pop did his best to make sure I didn't feel that void. I remember as a child, going into his room where he was playing the guitar or mandolin, and he'd make up songs about me on the spot. When I wanted to sell the most Girl Scout Cookies so I could go to camp, he took them into work and made sure I won. When I had pneumonia, and Cabbage Patch kids were sold out all over the country, he found me one to make me feel better. He would always bring me candy from Hershey when he returned from business trips. When he would get home late and Granny would warm up his dinner, I'd sit at the table with him and eat Ring Dings, and he would make me sculptures out of the foil wrapping. He treated me as both a daughter and a granddaughter, and gave me the best of both.

My grandfather loved my grandmother with all of his heart. He gave her a table full of flowers on her birthday, Valentines Day, and their anniversary. They traveled the world together, from Isreal to Medjugorje to Calcutta. Now they are traveling together again for all eternity in the afterlife. He missed her so much, and as much as it hurts to lose him, I know that he is happy now with her.

I will close with one last quote that I feel perfectly describes how my Grandfather lived his life. “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” - Mother Theresa.


1 comment:

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

Yeah, that would have made him proud. Excellent writing. It made my eyes tear up a bit.

You know, you should pursue writing, Nik. You're depriving the world of a wonderful talent. Seriously. Consider it. Strongly.