Saturday, February 14, 2009

You're really pretty Mommy

I thought I would have a crappy Valentines Day this year. My husband and I are split up, not that we've ever really celebrated in a major way anyway, but I thought this year it would just be a reminder of the fact that I'm dangerously close to single. But my three and a half year old son actually made it the best one yet.

First, on Wednesday, he made me the cutest card in speech class, complete with flowers and little heart stickers that he picked out himself. Then, on Friday, he gave me a bouquet of tissue paper flowers that he made at school. Today, he behaved almost perfectly the whole day (no three year old can behave perfect all day, so I'll take close). We made Valentine cupcakes, we went shopping and he didn't ask for a single thing, and we painted with glitter glue without destroying the entire house (any day where he only destroys half the house is a good day). As if that wasn't all perfect enough, tonight we were reading books and he looked at me and said "you're really pretty Mommy!" That made my day extraordinary.

My son makes my life extraordinary. I've never really accomplished much in this world. I've dropped out of college more times than I care to admit. As my husband would tell you, I've never had a "real" job aside from a seasonal managing stint every Christmas and Easter. I've only been published once, and I have never completed a single one of the twenty-some novels I've started. But I did manage to have one awesome kid. It took me six years to produce him, and he had a bit of a rocky birth, but he's here, he's healthy, happy, and smart. He is my one major accomplishment, the one thing I can look at and say "hey, I did that!" He makes me proud every day, and if I'm proud of him, I can be proud of myself because I gave him what he needed to become the smart, well-rounded, happy little boy that he is. He's beautiful, perfect, and amazing, and he thinks I'm really pretty. You just can't beat that.

2 comments:

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

I am dangerously single now, as you know, and while I never got into the holiday all that much, I now hate it.

You did make an awesome kid, and just the fact that you got through the teen years to become such an awesome mom says more about you than you think. Anyone can be a parent, but few can be moms. You've done that. Your son will always look up to you. You can hear it in his voice.

Whenever you wonder about your parenting skills. Look at him and how he's turning out. Never had a "real" job? I think otherwise.

Nikki said...

You're telling me! I'm so sick of hearing "what do you do? A stay at home mom? Oh, well, you need to get a job." Excuse me bastard? What do you do at your job? we're a maid, nurse, teacher, referee, book keeper, secretary, chauffeur, and countless other things, every single day. And we do it on little sleep.