Tuesday, March 3, 2009

To smash or not to smash?

I have a ganglion cyst on my left wrist. It appeared all the sudden. One minute there was nothing, the next a strange bump. I, being me, was of course convinced I had either somehow managed to break my wrist and didn't know it, or that I had a tumor. I asked the doctor to look at it, and he declared that it was merely a ganglion cyst. I could either let it go or smash it. I can't seem to do either. It's getting bigger, although not noticeable to anyone who doesn't know it is there. But it is freaking me the hell out! I am not a bumpy person. I don't get cysts, except maybe one on an ovary, but that only hurts every other month. Where the heck did this thing come from? It is driving me batty. I want so much to gain the courage to just smash it with a book, which apparently is the physician-recommended treatment. Seriously? We're still using the same method they used back in the 1600's? This is not reassuring to me. I want them to give me some sort of medicine, preferably in pill format, that will make it magically vanish.

In an attempt to educate myself on the ways of smashing this thing to oblivion, I googled directions. I refuse to accept that I can simply whack myself with a book and go on my merry way. One of the first phrases that stuck out was "There's no side effect to smashing a ganglion cyst except the horrid pain." I think horrid pain ranks pretty high on the side effect scale, just under imminent death actually. Minor pain freaks me out. Horrid pain pretty much has me running for the hills (Not the ones where cannibals eat you though. Getting eaten by cannibals ranks just under horrid pain in my book.) There is a really good reason why I don't have any tattoos, although if I'm trying to appear more brave than I am, I swear it's about the fact that I don't want anything permanent on my body that I could get sick of eventually. That actually is a blatant lie. I don't like pain. I don't get the whole "oh, it's just like getting scratched by a cat." I've been scratched by a cat, it was unpleasant. Why on earth would I want to be scratched by a thousand of them.

But back to the cyst. I want to smash the damn thing and be done with it. But I can see how this is going to go. I will make my friend do it, because she seems to really want to. She will come at me with a book, I will run and scream. This will last for about twenty minutes. She'll prevail. I'll faint. Several times. I will probably fall and hit my head, thus causing more horrid pain. Nothing good can come of this.

4 comments:

Queen Slug said...

You do know if I was in the area I would have smashed if for you by now. I would have given you a Valium 1st, but yeah I'd have so hunted you down & squashed it. It just kinda sound like fun to squish a cyst, I have no clue why. I'll just go be quiet now.

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

Is biting out of the question? Sure, you could use your copy of "It," but wouldn't something primal like biting feel more satisfying. After all, I'm pretty sure that the author of any book (save maybe Robert Rimmer, author of "The Love Explosion") wouldn't want you using their masterpiece to destroy a cyst. Instead, chomp that fucker into oblivion.

Nikki said...

Slug, yes I know, you would have held me down and smashed that sucker the day it popped up, after slipping aforementioned Valium into my diet sprite. It would have amused you greatly. And that's part of why I love ya so much. I can always count on you to smash any bizarre things that pop up on me.

Doug, you have a freakish fascination with this "Love Explosion" book. I'm thinking about an intervention. And don't think I haven't thought about biting it. But common sense prevailed, too many germs in a human bite.

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

Robert Rimmer's "The Love Explosion" is a classic of modern erotica. It's the only sex book I've seen where a volcano somehow plays a role in the plot. I'm sure Rimmer didn't even know the symbolism there. After all, he is named Rimmer and writing erotica. It seems like he kind of misses these connections all the time. If I were named Rimmer, I would not be writing sex novels. I'd be doing children's books. That's much funnier.