Saturday, May 23, 2009

I Hate May

May is the worst month financially for me, because it is the month I have to register my car, get car insurance, and get the car inspected. I have yet to just take my car to be inspected and leave after paying the simple $20 fee. Last year, it cost over $500 to get it inspected, because it needed tires, bushings (I think that's what they're called, I keep calling them the wrong thing, they make your car not tip over when you turn), a tune-up, transmission fluid flushed and refilled (or whatever they did with it) and a few other things. Not all of these things were required to pass, but the guy made it sound like my car would explode if I didn't get it done, so I just kept saying "fine, whatever." This year, I don't have the money for "fine, whatever." So when he came at me with a list a mile long of things I needed to do to make my car survive another year, I burst into tears and started bawling in the middle of the Midas car service area. The list was narrowed down to four things that HAVE to be done, coming out to $350. Now, apparently, I'm getting a "good" deal on the work and parts, but when you don't have a damn job, $350 is an awful lot of money.

Car insurance is another fun thing. I've never had a ticket. I had one accident five years ago involving a turtle, but that's it. Yeah, okay, so that turtle incident totaled my car, but I had State Farm at the time and the bastards didn't even give me half of what my car was worth. So why does it cost $300 for six months just for liability? I had to drop everything else in order to afford the insurance. We had two cars on our old policy, and Rich had like five tickets and four accidents in the last seven years. Everything was covered, and that only cost $688 for six months. Why is mine so high? That doesn't seem very fair.

May is just a crappy month. On the one hand, I hate living in a state that forces inspections, but on the other hand, if they didn't force it on me, I'd have no idea that my car was the death trap they claim it to be. I also think it's ridiculous to have to register your car every single year. A car should be registered once, unless you move. It's just another way for the state to steal more of the money I don't even have. May is coming to an end, and I still haven't registered the car or fixed all the crap that needs to be fixed. Screw you May.

1 comment:

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

The state will always try to take money from its citizens in any way it can. What you should question is why PA has such shitty roads when gas taxes and, I believe, a portion of registration fees are supposed to fix those things.